Saturday, May 24, 2014

Mark Cuban: 'A racist I am not' - CNBC.com

Sardonically noting that "someone is going to take this as a media thing," Cuban added what he called a qualification. "I think we're all bigots. I don't think there's any question about that."

But as his father taught him, he added, "of everything and anything you possibly can do, treating anyone differently for race, religion, or any other reason, is wrong. But that doesn't mean you're not going to have those thoughts from time to time. ... You've got to realize when you have those thoughts, they're wrong."

He made similar comments in a separate videotape made for the conference.

Responding to what he considered an unfair report on his comments, Cuban tweeted, "I have my failings and I mentioned those in the interview. But a racist I am not."

He later added, "In hindsight, I should have used different examples. I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that." Otherwise, he wrote, "I stand by the words and substance of the interview" and he urged people to watch the full interview.

In a racially charged case that was extensively covered by the media, Martin, a 17-year-old African-American wearing a hoodie, was fatally shot in 2012 by George Zimmerman inside a gated Florida community. Zimmerman claimed self defense and was acquitted of murder charges.

Alyssa Funke

Mark Cuban

NY Rangers

Gregg Jarrett

College Board

No comments:

Post a Comment